Sunday, April 5, 2009

Baja California Sur (Mexico) - detox and dialogue

In fairness to a place of great natural beauty, I didn't really do justice to the Baja Sur, spending most of my time there on buses, or asleep. Yet, after almost 6 weeks of over-doing it, a wind-down was much needed. Hard work this travelling.

A long (18 hour), expensive (1000 peso) and ridiculously cold bus trip took me to the small town of Loreto. The town is super sleepy, except for a scary five or six hours during the day when the cruise ship gets into town. Mucho americanos. Time to hide. Otherwise, I did absolutely nothing for two days, apart from wander aimlessly around the harbour and 17th century mission. But having my own room for the first time in ages was a rare treat - even though it was average at best.

Next stop was La Paz for a couple of nights where at least I saw a few beaches, took a swim and watched the sunset every night. The highlight though was a night watching Mexico vs Honduras in a locals bar, learning - and forgeting - Mexican slang. At least I remember 'chiquita mama'. A classic, not that you see many of them around these parts.

Getting off the Baja required an expensive ferry trip. Still, a few beers and a game of cards later, in the laughable 80's style on-board bar, and I was on the mainland and ready to hit the road.

Future thought to end... in what ways can I keep my Spanish going in Australia?

No comments:

Post a Comment