Monday, May 11, 2009

Quetzaltenango (Guatemala) - primary school

Three weeks since the last post and I am still in the same place, making slow progress in learning Spanish - the law of diminishing marginal returns plays strongly in this endeavour. Right now, I understand six tenses and have around 200 verbs up my sleeves, but I barely feel like I speak any better then when I started. Time to get out there and use it perhaps.

Xela has proved a lively place to spend some time, with a good mix of late drinking nights (in old fashioned 'locks-ins' since the bars all shut at 1am), cultural activities, trips into the country and salsa lessons - speaking of things I don't yet master. All with an odd friendship group of a Kiwi, Israeli, Swede, two South Africans and a marine. Good bunch.

Around forty minutes away is Laguna Chicabal, set in the crater of an old volcano and requiring a two hour trek. Normally the views both arond the lake and on approach are supposed to be magnificent, but the rainy season offers a different experience. Around the lake, mist prevented more then a couple of metres of vision. This, with the weird burning Mayan tributes, made for a mysterious setting. Fortunately, the clouds lifted for a few brief minutes whilst on the rim, to allow the full view to be experienced. A little closer, and far less hard work, are the boiling hot thermal pools of Fuentes Georginas. A beer and a steaming dip made for a recuperating Sunday arvo.

Between study and mucking around, I've kept my culinary skills up to speed by cooking a traditional English Sunday roast for my family - twelve people in total. Followed by preparing dinner for the entire Spanish school, teachers included. An odd Asian creation which seemed pretty popular with the 20 who cleaned their plates. Next stop, Italiano.

No comments:

Post a Comment