Monday, March 8, 2010

Lima (Peru) - unexpectedly excellent

I had heard some shady or at best indifferent things about Lima. I think it even featured recently in a list of the world's worst capital cities (which criminally didn't include any of the hell holes in Central America). Well, I refute anything bad said about this historic, vibrant and cultured culinary mecca. In almost a week I only really explored three parts, but loved elements of all of them.

Baranco was my favourite spot. A waterside, up-market suburb that manages to avoid the influx of malls, american fast food chains and hotel chains that characterise the more afluent suburbs in other Latin American cities. Old buildings, a cafe in a train, charming restaurants, a quaint parque central and lively drinking holes. I could live there.

Nearby is Miraflores, which does have its fair share of KFC's, Starbucks and McDonald's, but makes for a good night out and again is built around an attractive park. It is also a handy spot for cheaply topping up a traveller's wardrobe.

Most surprising was the old town, which I expected to be dangerous, dirty and delapidated. Not at all. The sunset from the gorgeous Plaza de Armas, complete with imposing cathedral and huge parliament building, was a treat. Plenty of museums, galleries and churches fill the crowded streets.

All in all, given the continual rise of the Peruvian economy and the amazing food, I might keep my eyes open for real job opportunities in this misrepresented spot.

1 comment: