Saturday, January 9, 2010

Cotapaxi (Ecuador) - first taste of real altitude

After loosing my dorm bed in a hostel in Quito, I took the option of heading to the countryside for a few nights. Slap bang in front of Volcan Cotopaxi, lies a homely backpacker retreat with a roaring fireplace, four hilarious dogs, three meals a day and a stunning view. A farmstead with pigs, cows, chickens and, erm, llamas adds to the country feel. They also grow most of their own produce.

Whilst there were several action activities to take part in, including scaling the volcano itself, I settled for a walk up to the local waterfall (only a little one, but hopping on the rocks up the creek to get there was fun), a short hike to a minor ridge and lots of lounging around. At night, a crew of mainly Australians and I entertained ourselves with various games of charades, vampire, scrabble and the rest. Shockingly, we never got around to playing poker, despite having a professional dealer in our midst.

Perhaps most interesting for me was the result of plenty of peaceful thinking time about my future. I came up with the fairly broad-based idea that, by age 40 (scarily less then 3 years), I want to be running by own business in the food / travel space. Who knows if it will ever happen and what exactly it might be, but it gives me some kind of focus. Restaurant Bolivar is the opening gambit offering food, music, film and art from the former Gran Colombia.

No comments:

Post a Comment