Saturday, June 13, 2009

Antigua (Guatemala) - post farewell wind-down

The manificent colonial town of Antigua is the tourist honey-pot of Guatemala, complete with cobbled streets, magnificent architecture and artisan markets. I spent two nights there but, to be honest, did very little. Hoards of gringos of all ages - high school kids and pensioners included - cram the streets, bars and shops. It wasn't my cup of tea and left me with no regrets in selecting Xela as my place of study. Perhaps the highlight was a visit to the supermarket, afterwhich I cooked the very Latin American dish of sausage, mash, peas and ketchup. Still, it was washed down with Chilean wine.

Prior to setting off on the road again, with the delightful Heidi, the week was about farewells. The goodbyes started on my last day at school; with a lunch, a speech and a few little presents for my teachers. Then I had to leave my family - although I am practised at that - with a last meal and a couple more gifts. Finally, the adios for amigos, held in our favourite curry house. Boy it was good. Oh, in between we climbed Volcan Santa Maria, in the middle of the night. Hard work, but it delivered the 'above the clouds, sunrise view' to make it all worthwhile. Time to hit the road.

2 comments:

  1. I mist say, you're doing well in keep the posting up Rob. Keep up the good work. I read regularly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I must say? I mist up? I'm not that emotional... I think *sniff*

    ReplyDelete