Sunday, June 21, 2009

Tikal (Guatemala) - mayan marvel

Deep in the jungle of Northern Guatemala lies the definitive Mayan site of Tikal. Dozens of temples, many of which you can actually climb, are nestled amongst the canopies and amongst the very appropriately named howler monkeys. I certainly enjoyed wandering around the massive site and appreciating this engineering feat. But, it was a hell of a hike to get there from Semuc Champey and, in truth, it didn't overwhelm me. Perhaps I am a little travel weary when even a world class experience is struggling to move my world.

Nearby Florest, the base camp for Tikal expeditions, is a quaint little island town on the banks of a lake. Restaurants along the water provide nice views and the cobbled streets add to the ambience. That said, it was with no regret that I hit the road again, for another mammoth bus ride. At least I always had Nuestro Diario under my arm. A local tabloid divided into three thirds: horrific tales of murder, road accidents and muggings (complete with photos of the dead bodies lying in the road and their families standing around grieving), photos of catwalk models and beauty pagent winners from around the world and sport (entirely football, of course). Plus horoscopes and agony aunts. All-in-all, a terrific read.



No comments:

Post a Comment