Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Copan Ruinas (Honduras) - lazy times

Finally, after setting out in February to take on Central America, I have made it to my second country in the region - albeit only 10 minutes from the Guatemalan border. A very simple stroll between two gates took care of immigration. Though at least they looked at my passport, unlike the Mexicans.

Copan is one of those delightful colonial towns, with cobbled streets, set in the hills at a pleasant altitude. It is pretty touristy, but charming never-the-less. We were lucky enough to stay in cracking hostel, in a room with luxury treats rare in the low end of the market. Piping hot water, a ceiling fan and, wait for it, a reading lamp. Days were spent lounging around, learning if not really practicing Spanish. In the evenings we drank a few bottles of Imperial (the local beer with actual taste) and wandered the streets. Honduras certainly has a different feel to Guatemala, although I need to get into a real town to pick what it is.

I almost forgot the reason everyone ostensibly visits this town. The Mayan ruins. Old and resplendent in the jungle, as always. And of course I went to see them. To be honest though, the incredible macaws, that circle the crumbling temples and ancient stairways, interested me more.

1 comment:

  1. Good to see you're on the move...I like the macaws but I expect some pictures of local dogs at some point! Kathryn

    ReplyDelete