Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Bogota (Colombia) - back for Xmas

In Colombia, the big Xmas event happens on Christmas Eve, where families get together to eat, drink and dance. I was lucky to spend the night with my friend's folks, all crammed into a small room in grandma's house. I was less lucky, or perhaps just stupid, to spend the night drinking a scary mix of beer, wine, rum, whisky and, of course, aguardiente. Before passing out, literally, I did show off my salsa skills, dancing with just about every female attendee, from a 2 year old to grannie herself. Who strangely was dressed as a man. Odd.

On my last day in Bogota, I did manage to tick off one attraction that had eluded me in my previous 3 months: the Biblioteca Luis Ángel Arango, a huge complex of libraries, theatres, museums and other cultural institutions and I do not know how I missed it first time around. Yet more fantastic works from Botero himself, along with a smattering of minor works from European masters, displays on the history of money in Colombia and a collection of Latin American contemperory works, make for a good few hours of wandering. More amazingly my Colombian girl had not even heard of it, after living in Bogota for 25 years.

No comments:

Post a Comment